Friday, September 11, 2009

May 4, 2009

On Turning 30

And here I am
straight-legged and
broad-shouldered,
my body finally
filling in this skin.

My voice no longer
percholating in the
little cauldron of my throat.
My hair being
pulled back like a
slow scalping.

And here I am
known and unknown,
a cool summer day
with a wind that
carries fall on its back.

And I am not afraid,
And I am not bewildered,
And I am not anxious.

I am rising, as if
from a light sleep,
realizing that the
world will not wait
as I slumber and stretch.

And if I want the crown,
I cannot wait for the king to die,
And if I want the crown,
I cannot wait for the king to die,
And if I want the king to die,
I cannot wait for the king to die.

I must enter his guarded chambers
awake him and give him his sword,
then tell only the priests that
the handle was poisoned.

No comments: