Thursday, January 20, 2011

MY FATHER'S COAT

I stepped out
last night after
my family had
gone to sleep.

There was already
frost on the windows;
so, I took
my father’s coat.

It had been
many years since
I last wore his
heavy clothes.

Always a blanket
or tent as a child,
my father’s shirts
and jackets would
swallow us whole.

As I took into the
December night, however,
the sleeves fell short,
the shoulders hugged mine.

And I realized that
it was not the coat
that would overwhelm me
as I grew older,

it was the man.

5 comments:

Mandie said...

Very nice. I like this poem. makes me think about my own father. I lost him three years ago but his memory and the lessons that he taught will forever guide me. Thanks for sharing this wonderful poem.

ILoveMyDogandMy Music said...

I like this poem very much. The last line brings you right to it. I had a strong emotion when I read it. Nice..

Kellen said...

I'm not not obsessed with your poetry.

Rem. said...

Wow, just wow.

alex said...

nice poem
nice blog... keep sharing..
continue to blog..

Edina MN Realty
Canada Freight
Freight Canada
Houston SEO
Houston Search Engine Optimization
Alaska King Salmon Fishing