Thursday, January 20, 2011

THANKSGIVING POEM

I went to the beach for Thanksgiving.
My family, a small band of nomads,
brought popcorn, pop tarts and lemonade
gravy and we sat, as we always do

watching the children as they rise and spin
and tremble with adolescence.

I went to the beach for Thanksgiving
because in the quiet hours I could
sneak down to the sandy shore and
scribble these half-written words,

pulling small pieces of bread out of my pockets
and hoping the small bird of a poem would come.

I went to the beach for Thanksgiving
because it is immeasurable, and I,
artificially large, needed to remember
that I am thankful.

1 comment:

Miryam Velez Cheu. said...

i really like the way that you write , good luck .
i am from colombia and read you . bye
if you want visit my blog http://www.miryamvelezcheu.blogspot.com/