Saturday, January 3, 2009

January 2, 2008

And some of you are doubtlessly already disappointed now that you see January 2nd's post appearing on January 3rd, but you must remember that my promise was only to write a poem a day.  There are times that due to access issues these mediocre poems will appear a day or two late.  

I recently found out that the girl I thought I would always marry is engaged.  I write this to her and the countless other beauties I've waited out for nought.

I wanted to see the underside of
your chin as I, one-kneed, fumbled
for your dime thin ring.

I wanted to see you minutes
before morning, the last night
we kissed in pieces.

I wanted to see your eyes cautiously
glance around the standing congregation
as my heavy breath blew the candles cold.

I wanted to see your hands,
impossibly smooth, as they reached
to steal mine from pocketed purgatory.

I wanted to see the space between
your parted lips that now hold words
you'll only say to him.

1 comment:

Pam Davis in Santa Barbara said...

Some girls are bad for the heart, but good for poetry. Loved "pocketed purgatory" and "kissed in pieces."