Wednesday, January 7, 2009

January 7, 2009

I raise my glass to the forgotten
to the unimportant, to the innoccuous
moments I thought we shared
but have just been informed
by your sour smile and furrowed brow
that we did not.

I raise my glass to the song
I heard that reminded me, not you,
of a long glance we evidently did not
share across an unmemorable table
with some forgettable red flower in a vase
between us.

I raise my glass to the evening in the park
that I, not we, thought should never end
as you sat so swinging on what must have been
a run-of-the-mill playground swing
whose warped seat and rusted chains will be taken
down by someone who's never swung there.

I raise my glass to the us I've just learned
was a me and the you I've just learned
fell through some hole in the floor years back
leaving me to walk at your pace
some seventeen years in front of you.

I raise my glass to the forgotten,
to the unimportant, to the innoccuous
life I've been living so unawarely alone.

No comments: